Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc. (Actelion) values your privacy and the privacy of our customers and visitors to our websites (collectively, the “Site”) and those who have enrolled to participate in and receive Actelion Pathways Support and Services (APSS) (referred to individually as "User" and collectively as "Users").
The Information Actelion Collects:
- Personally Identifiable Information: You may provide to Actelion what is generally called "Personally Identifiable" Information (sometimes “PII”) (such as your name, email address, postal mailing address, home/mobile telephone number, fax number, billing information and the names and email addresses of friends to whom you forward content from the Site or request via APSS) when using the Site or participating in APSS. For example, if you use the Site to contact Actelion, we will ask for your email address so that we can respond to you.
- “Health” Information: You may provide to Actelion what is generally called “Health” Information (including but not limited to any and all spoken or written information about your health, treatment, medications, insurance benefits, and other data collected and maintained by Actelion as part of your enrollment in APSS). By enrolling in APSS, you authorize Actelion to receive, use, disclose, transmit and maintain Health Information on your behalf in connection with the ongoing support and services provided to you upon enrollment.
- "Automatically Collected" Information: When you visit the Site, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser by using different types of technology, including "clear gifs" or "web beacons." This "automatically collected" information may include your Internet Protocol address ("IP Address"), web browser type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Site, the pages you view on the Site, and the dates and times that you visit the Site.
- Some of the services provided on this Site may require registration. When registering with Actelion, you may need to complete certain data fields as well as provide a user name and password. This registration discloses your identity. Please note that in the event you decide to withhold certain requested personal data, it may not be possible for you to access certain parts of the Site.
- Session cookies: We also use session cookies when you visit the Site. Session cookies are active only during the period you are logged on to the Site, and are removed when you leave. They help us track the sections of the website that you use to allow us to make improvements in keeping with observed user preferences. We also use tracking cookies to determine what sites you visit when you leave our Site. This information helps us identify content and services that may be of interest to our users as we work to make further improvements to the Site.
How Actelion Uses Information:
- Actelion uses the information you provide or that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and information found on the Site and all of the support and services offered through APSS. We will use your email address, without further consent, for administrative purposes, for customer service purposes, to address intellectual property infringement, rights of privacy, or defamation issues.
- Actelion uses all of the information that we collect to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our Users, to improve the way the Site works and looks, and to create new features and functionality for both the Site and APSS.
- Actelion may use "Automatically Collected" information to: (a) remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Site; and (b) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed.
- Actelion will not use your email address or other Personally Identifiable information to send promotional messages unless you have opted in or otherwise requested that Actelion contact you about the Actelion products and services or other information. Actelion will not use or disclose the names or email addresses of friends to whom you send content from the Site for any purpose other than sending such content on your behalf upon your initial request.
- Actelion prefers that your personal data be updated, accurate and complete. Accordingly, you may access, amend, update and/or request deletion of your personal data at any time. If you wish to access, amend, update or delete your personal data held by Actelion, please contact us at the address shown below. Actelion will try to address your request in a prompt and accurate manner and free of charges.
- Actelion will only use your Personally Identifiable or Health Information to provide you with more tailored information about its products and services if you have enrolled in the APSS or otherwise have authorized Actelion to use information for such purposes. However, we may anonymize and aggregate data collected through the Site or via APSS and use it for our business purposes. Such information does not identify you individually.
When Actelion Discloses Information:
- Actelion does not share your Personally Identifiable information with other organizations for their marketing or promotional uses without your express consent.
- Actelion does not sell your Personally Identifiable information or Health Information to anyone. Actelion discloses automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally-identifiable information with interested third parties to assist such parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Site.
- Personal data you provide may incidentally be transferred to a third party acting for or on behalf of Actelion, or in connection with Actelion's business, for further processing in accordance with the original purpose of the collection of the personal data. Such third parties may adopt different privacy policies. However, Actelion will ask such third parties to provide at least the same degree of protection that Actelion provides. Please note that if you withdraw your consent, Actelion may not be able to comply with some of your requests. Actelion will, where practicable, inform third parties to whom your personal data has been transferred of your withdrawal of consent.
- Actelion works with some authorized service providers to provide website hosting and maintenance as well as other services for us. Actelion requires these service providers to safeguard Personally Identifiable information you provide to us. To the extent it is necessary for these service providers to complete their contractual obligations to Actelion; these third parties may have access to or process your Personally Identifiable information. Actelion generally limits their use of your Personally Identifiable information to the purpose for which it was shared.
- Actelion may also disclose User information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws or respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena, or warrant. In some cases, we may make such disclosures without first providing notice to Users. This includes Health Information, which may also be disclosed as needed to deal with safety, treatment, adverse events and related issues to the extent allowed under applicable law or as previously consented by you. By enrolling in APSS, you understand that if Health Information is disclosed in this manner, federal and state privacy laws may not protect it if those laws do not apply to the recipient.
- Actelion also reserves the right to disclose User information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; protect Actelion from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the Site; or to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Actelion, our Users, or others.
You may, of course, decline to share your personally-identifiable information with Actelion, in which case Actelion will not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality found on the Site.
You may also change your mind in regards to a prior authorization for disclosure of your personal or Health Information and notify Actelion of such revocation in writing, signed by you or on your behalf, and delivered to Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc., c/o Privacy Officer, at 5000 Shoreline Court, Suite 200, South San Francisco, CA 94080. Such notice will be effective upon receipt by Actelion but will not change any actions that Actelion or others took in reliance upon this authorization before the effective revocation was received.
You may at any time request a copy of your authorization(s) on file with Actelion by sending such a request to Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc., c/o Privacy Officer, 5000 Shoreline Court, Suite 200, South San Francisco, CA 94080.
Our Commitment to Children's Privacy:
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, Actelion does not knowingly collect or maintain Personally Identifiable information on the Site from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of the Site is directed to persons under 13. IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE, THEN PLEASE DO NOT USE OR ACCESS THE SITE AT ANY TIME OR IN ANY MANNER. If Actelion learns that personally-identifiable information of persons less than 13 years of age has been collected by Actelion without verifiable parental consent, then Actelion will take the appropriate steps to delete this information.
Our Commitment to Data Security:
Actelion uses commercially reasonable physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to preserve the confidentiality and security of your personal information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Actelion, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, Actelion makes commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If Actelion learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. Actelion may post a notice on the Site if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing.
Personally Identifiable information collected on the Site may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Actelion or its affiliates, subsidiaries or agents maintain facilities, and by using the Site you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country.
In the Event of Merger or Sale:
In the event that Actelion is acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from Users as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control.
Links to Other Sites:
Date Last Modified:
Actelion Contact Information:
Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc.
c/o Privacy Officer
5000 Shoreline Court, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94080
Copyright © 2013 Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc. All rights reserved. The text, images, graphics, sound files, and their arrangement on this website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or posted to other sites.